There was a problem adding the Nest Connect to your Nest Account, but is it your fault? I spent about 6 hours after installing the new Nest x Yale Smart lock keypad in my side door, trying to get it to connect. The Nest Connect portion of the combo unit is a small white egg shaped device that plugs into the wall near your Yale lock keypad . It has a self contained battery backup and charges when plugged into the wall. In case of a power outage, the unit last for about 10 hours but I haven’t had the opportunity to test that just yet. In the quick reference guide, they have you begin with downloading the Nest app and scan the QR code on the back of the Nest Connect.
After downloading the app, I scanned the QR code on the back of the Nest Connect and began going through the steps to add the device to my home network. I got the finishing up screen on my iPhone and began getting excited about setting up the features within the app.
Make sure you are close enough to the router and your phone or tablet.
The Nest Connect uses Bluetooth to communicate with your phone initially until it connects to the Wi-Fi. While you might be close enough to your Wi-Fi it will error out early on if your phone or tablet.
There were two error numbers NA009(0.08) and NA008(0.08). I have found nothing on these two errors. I checked in the original Nest forum, which has now switched over to Google with closed comments, and found no matches as to what these errors could be.
Its got to be my router.
The one thing to keep in mind, at least for me, is that it might not like the settings on your upgraded 5GHz router. You may have to set up your router to a guest network and switch it to 2.4GHz remembering to keep your device (iPhone, Android, Tablet) on the same network when adding it.
After doing everything I could think of and reading everything online I threw in the towel. Next up was went the Nest Chat Service. Being tied up on the phone wasn’t an option and I have had pretty good luck with chat services in the past when running into difficulties with tech products.
I have tried everything.
Make sure to have all of your paperwork in front of you. Trying to read all of the information on the pack of the Nest Connect is impossible. While in chat, they will need the serial number.
In Nest chat, they will run you through all of the steps, including making sure the Nest Connect is close enough to both your phone/tablet and the Wi-Fi. They will have you press and hold the button on the top of the Nest Connect to reset it. It takes 8 seconds to reset it but ultimately, they will be just as stumped as you are.
You want me to do what?
They had me write down all of the numbers on the back of the Nest Connect including the case number associated with my claim on a piece of paper and place it on the paper. I had to then take a photo of the paper and the Nest Connect and upload it to them.
After coming to the conclusion that it was just not going to work the gentleman on chat explained that it seemed like a lost cause and that a replacement would be my best option. He took some information and gave and said that it would take 1-2 days to process and that in 5-7 days I would receive a new Nest Connect.
For now, the lock is functioning and we can all get in and out of the house, each with our own pass codes. The keypad is slick looking and its definitely doesn’t make the same earth shattering noise my old one did. In a way i liked the old one because you could tell when it was locked. This one is a bit more quiet.
Turns out I just needed a hard reset.
Nest sent me a new “Nest Connect” in the mail. I immediately plugged int in and connected it to the WI-Fi previously set up for the old unit. The app got me all the way to the end and the same exact thing happened. This was pure torture, as it was late and I had a pile of things to do that evening. My last option was to completely reset the entire network. Doing so meant I had to do a hard reset on the modem and make sure there weren’t any things blocking the the Nest Connect. It always connected to the network but something was blocking from there. After doing a hard reset on the cable modem and reconnecting to the secondary router, it lit up like a Christmas Tree. The router was still set up by default from the cable company so I have to assume what ever they did affected it sending and receiving information. It wasn’t a huge deal since I use the secondary router for everything but still. At any rate it is up and running and all is not lost.